Committed to upholding the values of transparency and accountability, the Telangana government’s ITE&C department has released its performance report for the sixth consecutive year. The report captures various initiatives and achievements by various sub-departments of ITE&C over the past one year. The report was launched by Hon’ble Minister of Telangana for ITE&C, I&C, and MA&UD – Shri. K.T.Rama Rao along with Principal Secretary for ITE&C and I&C – Shri Jayesh Ranjan, IAS on Saturday.
Hon’ble Minister Shri KT Rama Rao in his message said, “Telangana has continued to be the leader in the IT industry. Despite the slowdown of activities due to the COVID crisis, Telangana’s IT/ITeS exports grew at an unprecedented rate of 17.93% compared to the National Average of 8.09%. I am also happy to reiterate that Telangana has declared 2020 as the year of Artificial Intelligence, clearing showing the state’s focus on AI. I would also like to thank the industry which has come to the support of the state during the unprecedented COVID crisis.”
Some of the key achievements of I&C and ITE&C Departments, as captured in the respective annual reports are as follows:
“Telangana has continued to its juggernaut performance in the area of IT/ITeS exports for yet another year – Telangana’s IT/ITeS exports grew at an unprecedented rate of 17.93% compared to the National Average of 8.09% and the rest of the country’s average of 6.92%. During the 2019 – 2020 financial year, several marquee investments have taken place in Hyderabad, including the inauguration of Amazon’s world’s largest facility at 3 Million sq.ft and Micron’s largest R&D centre globally. Telangana and ITE&C’s vision to take IT to tier-2 cities has borne fruit with the help of investments from Tech Mahindra and CYIENT, both having chosen to open their centres in the Warangal.”
COVID related initiatives:
To handle the unprecedented COVID crisis, the ITE&C worked with I&C department in rising up to this unprecedented occasion promptly and took several key measures – on facilitating citizen contact tracing, movement, home quarantine, volunteering, etc.; on creating policies for industry operations as well as facilitating passes for the same and ensure business continuity via digital solutions to all key industry partners of Telangana.T-SAT has begun broadcasting multiple hours of online classes daily tailored to various government academic institutions that have gotten effected by COVID. The Digital Media team has prepared COVID, fact check portal and a multi-lingual COVID WhatsApp chatbot.
- Telangana share of Exports in India grew from 10.61% in (2018-19) to 11.58% (2019-20). The Overall share of Telangana in the Indian Export Growth for 2019-20 is 23.53%
- Similarly, Telangana’s Employment grew at 7.2% compared to the National Average of 4.93% or the Rest of the Nation’s Average of 4.59%. Telangana growth rate in employment is about 50% more than the rest of the country.
Key Achievements, Department-wise:
Electronic Services Delivery (ESD) and Telangana State Technology Services
- E-governance initiative, MeeSeva, with the help of 100+ participating agencies, has offered 600+ services and has served over 1+ Lakh Citizens per day, totaling unto transactions worth more than INR 4,500+ per annum.
- M-Governance solution, T-App folio has crossed 7 Lakh downloads and offers more than 225+ services. With over 32 participating departments, T-App folio now offers more than 225 services
- State’s own and updated e-procurement portals processed a cumulative of 1,55,187 tenders worth INR 1,20,434.82 Cr. Telangana also holds the 2nd highest position in number of e-transaction according to e-taal.
Technology empowering Girls (TeG)
- 560 women were trained in digital literacy skills for over 42 hours across 21 days.
- 2020 was announced as the Year of AI and boldly aims to accelerate the development of AI. 8 MoUs were signed to commemorated and guide the same.
- Medicine from the sky: First-of-its-kind medical drone delivery project is being undertaken with the collaboration with C4IR and Apollo group of hospitals
- Cybersecurity CoE: TS, with this step, aims to help a robust cybersecurity ecosystem be established in Telangana.
- DJI in Telangana: TS has signed an MoU with DJI, the world’s largest drone manufacturer to help train drone pilots.
- T-Works partnered with relevant stakeholders to build an affordable mechanical ventilator.
- It has also launched an IP facilitation cell to aid Startups, small SMEs etc. by providing easy access and understanding of IPR.
- T-SAT, the Government satellite TV network – has telecast 4612 episodes of different programmes. It has crossed 3.86 lakh subscribers mark on YouTube. Its wide variety of programmes received 5.3 crore views(+121%) with a watch time of 1.31 crore minutes
- A unique initiative that was undertaken by Digital Media’s Telugu Wiki team this year was working with IIIT Hyderabad to increase the articles on Telugu Wikipedia from 1 Lakh to 30 Lakh
Telangana State Innovation Cell (TSIC)
- TSIIC carried out the one-of-a-kind Telangana Innovation Yatra. This had the participation of 120 enthusiastic innovators, 4-day 4000km journey across the state as well as the identification of 50 innovative ideas.
- TSIIC’s village innovation challenge actively imbibed innovative thinking among 28-gram panchayats as well as 400+ participants.
T Wallet, the official digital wallet of the state touched new milestones by facilitating over 6,796 Cr and has over 11.1 Lakh active registrations.
T-Hub has completed 4 years of operations. It continues to move forward boldly with programs like T-Angel and the completion of the 2nd batch of its Lab32 flagship incubation program with a demo day with 30+ corporates and 70+ potential investors. T-Hub once again proved its mettle with respect to corporate innovation program by carrying out engagements with firms such as – UTC, Facebook, Boeing etc.
TASK has enabled the skilling of 3.5 Lakh youth since its inception. It has also trained more than 1,500 faculty. It has built new partnerships with over 40+ corporates to impart industry relevant skills. To match the state’s aspirations towards being rich emerging technologies talent, it has introduced courses in AI, Blockchain and IoT. TASK’s remarkable results can also be seen via its placement program, with about 4500 students being placed via direct placement drives.
Electronics Wing – Telangana currently accounts for 6% of the national electronics goods production. The 250+ electronics companies present in Telangana employ more than 1,15,000 people. In 2019, TS’ electronics sector received investment proposals worth INR 7,377.84 Cr (+87%). Major investments that have come in are – Skyworth group(INR 700 Cr, 5000 employees), Innolia Energy ( INR 150 Cr, 300 employees) etc. Re-investment and expansion are almost always a sign of ease of doing business in a state. Micron has seen the same in the government of Telangana and has expanded from 700 employees to 2000. It is also to be noted that One plus’ proposed investment of INR 1,000 Cr would bring the largest R&D centre of OP outside China to Hyderabad.
World Economic Forum, Davos – Telangana delegation led by Shri K T Rama Rao, participated in the 50th annual meeting of WEF.50 + bi-lateral meetings and 5+panel discussions were carried out over 3 days of WEF with the head honchos of corporations like – Roche, Amazon, Google, Salesforce, AB-InBev, Zerodha, Nestle, Rockwell, Yara etc. The Govt. set up an exclusive Pavilion on the Davos Promenade to showcase business opportunities in Telangana. The state bagged a Rs. 500 Crore deal with Piramal Group as well as several other strategic investment deals.
WE Hub – India’s first exclusive platform for fostering women innovators – continues to provide entrepreneurs with the necessary skills, interventions, opportunities and support required to scale-up. WE Hub’s premier incubation program received 223 applications as part of its 2nd cohort of incubation program out of which 23 were selected.
WE Hub has started Project Her & NOW to focus more on tier-2/tier-3 entrepreneurship among women. It has also carried out other impactful programs such as Hyderabad City Police Hackathon, Women returning to the workforce (15,000 women upskilled with the help of VMware), etc.
Please click here to download – ITE&C Department’s Annual Report for the year 2019-20