The Hon’ble Minister for IT, Industries and MA&UD Shri KT Rama Rao released ITE&C and I&C Department’s Annual Reports 2020-21 at Dr. Marri Channa Reddy Human Resource Development Institute in Hyderabad at 11 AM. In Telangana’s seventh year of formation, Sri K. T. Rama Rao released the Departments’ performance report, its initiatives, and achievements.Shri Jayesh Ranjan, Principal Secretary ITE&C Department welcomed the audience and said, “Despite the difficult year, both IT and Industries departments have made significant progress this year and have been able to initiate many new initiatives such as launch of new EV Policy, several new industrial parks and Hyderabad Mega Science & technology Cluster.”
Senior officials including Ms. Shailaja Ramaiyer IAS, Secretary, Handlooms, Textiles, and Handicrafts, TSIIC MD Narasimha Reddy, Commissioner of Industries K Manicka Raj and Commissioner MeeSeva and MD, TSTS G.T. Venkateshwar Rao were present at the event.
On the occasion, the Hon’ble Minister for Industries Shri KT Rama Rao proudly informed that “Despite the adverse impact of COVID19 pandemic on the economy, Telangana’s IT/ ITES Exports stood at ₹1,45,522 Cr for the financial year 2020-21 at a YoY increase of 12.98%. The State added 46,489 new jobs taking the total IT/ ITES employment to 6,28,615 at a growth rate of 7.99.
“Telangana’s GSDP (Gross State Domestic Product) during 2020-21 was Rs. 9.78 lakh Cr. The growth rate fell due to the Covid pandemic by 1.26% at constant prices (2011-12) but is significantly better than India’s projected GDP contraction at 8%. The share of Telangana’s economy in National GDP has gone up by 26 basis points to 5.0% in 2020-21 against 4.74% in 2019-20”.
The Minister added, that “Telangana continues to attract major investments from companies such as AWS, MassMutual, GoldmanSachs, NPCI and others despite the pandemic induced slowdown.”
Some of the key achievements of the ITE&C Department, as captured in the respective annual reports are as follows:
Key Statistics of growth:
- Telangana boasted a phenomenal growth in the IT/ITeS Sector with an increase of 12.98% in the IT/ITeS exports over the previous year recording a total of ₹1,45,522 Crores in IT/ITeS exports. Telangana has seen more than double the estimated average national growth rate. The youngest Indian State records a CAGR of 14.25% in IT/ ITES Exports since its inception in2013-14.
- The employment in the IT/ITeS sector has also increased by 7.99% to reach 6,28,615 during the 2020-2021 period.
- Hyderabad wins three Smart Cities India (SCI) awards by India Trade Promotion Organization (ITPO) at the 28th Convergence India 2021 International Exhibition and 6th Smart Cities India Expo, in the categories – green and clean city, smart waste disposal and startup
- The GSDP (Gross State Domestic Product) during 2020-21 was Rs. 9.78 lakh Cr. The growth rate fell due to the Covid pandemic by 1.26% at constant prices (2011-12) but significantly better than India’s projected GDP contraction at 8%.
- The share of Telangana’s economy in National GDP has gone up by 26 basis points to 5.0% in 2020-21 against 4.74% in 2019-20.
- In 2020-21, the state recorded a per-capita income of Rs.2,27,145 compared to the national average of Rs.1,27,768
Some highlights from the main focus sectors in the ITE&C Department are as follows:
- Amazon Data Services India Pvt. Ltd. is setting up three Data Centres in Fab City, Pharma City and Chandanvelly in Telangana with an investment of ₹20,761 Crores ($ 2.77 Bn).
- National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) has announced a smart data centre in Hyderabad with an investment of Rs 500 crore.
- Salesforce got the VSEZ nod to expand Hyderabad’s footprint by three times. Salesforce will invest Rs.1,119 Cr. and create 2,500 more jobs in the next 5 years.
- Goldman Sachs has selected Hyderabad as its location for the global shared services footprint in India with an employment of 500.
- US-based ‘Fortune 500’ life insurer Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company (MassMutual) announced the opening of a Global Capacity Centre (GCC) in Hyderabad with an investment of Rs. 1,000 Crores.
IT/ITeS growth beyond Hyderabad:
- IT Tower/Incubation Centre with 1400 seat capacity is operational in Warangal.
- Inaugurated Karimnagar IT Tower with a total built-up space of 80,000 sq. ft and 556 seats hosting 18 IT companies.
- The Khammam IT Tower was inaugurated and has nineteen IT companies that are operating from the facility with a total built-up space of 41,250 sq. ft and 430 seats. Construction of Phase II IT Tower, with 570 additional seats was started.
- The Telangana Government has come up with a Growth in Dispersion (GRID) policy with a view to promoting dispersed growth across Hyderabad.
Innovation & Entrepreneurship – T-HUB, WE HUB, TSIC
- Entrepreneurship has taken a big step further in the state of Telangana as T-HUB completes its fifth year not just as an incubator, but as an innovation facilitator in the state. In this period, T-HUB has supported over 2000 startups through its programs.
- The innovation ecosystem being propagated through T-HUB, TSIC and We HUB, has made great strides in supporting budding and grassroots innovators and has paved the way for several startups to take off.
- Over ₹90 lakh worth of incentives have been sanctioned to 28 unique startups
- The State Startup Portal has been launched for the entire startup ecosystem to facilitate engagement, & act as a central place for knowledge dissemination about state support.
- WE Hub, which is India’s first State-led incubator for Women Entrepreneurs, has supported over 4500 women entrepreneurs and raised over ₹53 Crores for supported startups in its time.
- There is a focus on creating young innovators. Over 25000+ school students & 5092 teachers from the Govt. Schools of the state have been sensitised on Design Thinking & Innovation
- 125 Startups have been mentored during the pandemic through the Rejig-HydStartups program led by the city’s Incubation Ecosystem
- Organised the first-ever Assistive Technology (AT) Summit in collaboration with Dept. of Disabled Welfare, State & National-level organisations
- Telangana has also been at the forefront of promoting the use and development of new-age technologies like AI, ML, Drones, and Blockchain
- Telangana became the 1st State to launch an actionable policy framework for Artificial Intelligence. The Telangana AI Mission (T-AIM) has been formed in partnership with NASSCOM to execute the strategy
- Cloud adoption has been mandated within the government and an easy to adopt framework has been released to support the same
- Agritech has been given a push through the initiatives of AI-based Pest Management, AI4AI – in partnership with WEF, and the National e-Governance Plan for Agriculture
- Through Medicine From The Sky (MFTS), Telangana became the 1st state to pilot Beyond Visual Range of Sight (BVLOS) drone delivery of vaccines and essentials.
- Attracted over INR 4,000 Cr worth of investments in the last 1 year in the Electronics, Electric Vehicles, Energy Storage Systems and New Energy space, which are in various stages of implementation
- Expected employment generation of these investments are expected to generate employment for over 15,000 people.
- To make Telangana the Hub for Electric Vehicles and Energy Storage Systems, the Electric Vehicle and Energy Storage Policy 2020-2030 was launched. Two new industrial clusters are designated as Electric Vehicle Cluster and New Energy Park to promote Electric Vehicle and Energy Storage Systems manufacturing:
- Chandanvelly, designated as EV Cluster, caters to EV and related component manufacturing.
- Divitipally, designated as ‘New Energy Park’, caters to promote Li-Ion Cell & Battery Manufacturing, Solar Cell & Module Assembly, and other New & Renewable Energy related Manufacturing.
Electronic Service Delivery and e-Governance
- MeeSeva has served over 2.86 Crore citizens and handled transactions over ₹4,115 Cr during 2020-2021
- T-App Folio is the only App in India that provides for online application and delivery of certificates to citizens. A total of 11.8 lakh downloads and close to 7,000 transactions a day. Hosts over 270+ services from 32participating departments.
- Since 2017, Over 12.3 lakh citizens registered with T-Wallet, the first wallet for any State Govt. in the country. Close to 2.42 crore transactions worth about 12,128 Cr handled with an average of 23,000 transactions a day.
- Blockchain Protection of Strinidhi Transactions: 1,50,000 SHG members credit score has been calculated and over 2,00,000 transactions have been recorded. Over 25,000 Smart loan contracts have been generated as well.
- The state has adopted solutions like RTDAI to incorporate the use of technology for efficient delivery of services and e-governance. Pensioner’s Life Certificate through Selfie, RTA FEST, and DOST Authentication are prime use cases.
TASK – Telangana Academy for Skill and Knowledge
- TASK received over 57,000 new registrations in 2020-21 and has skilled 1,04,611 students and 1561 faculty members during this period. It has also facilitated placements for over 2600 students
- Multiple programs covering more than 25,000 students and 2300 faculty were conducted in emerging technology areas such as AI, ML, Data Science and Blockchain through TASK’s partnerships with industry and corporations including IBM, ExcelR, Microsoft, NASSCOM Future Skills and others
- Conducted over 20 webinars under ‘Career Talk Series’ on diverse industry segments IT/ITeS, Aerospace, Hospitality, Logistics, Manufacturing, Pharma & Med Tech to help students understand the IR 4.0 skills required by these industries.
- Commenced TASK Regional Centres at the IT Towers in Karimnagar & Khammam
- SoFTNET T-SAT network channels telecast 8+ hours of digital lessons for school students, classes in all subjects from class III to Class X and for intermediate education as well
- Digital classes telecasted in English Medium, Telugu Medium and Urdu Medium.
- T-SAT has also broadcast educational content for other areas including women development and child welfare, TSWRIES & TTWRIES, Staff Selection Commission, Agriculture and Health
- Broadcast is done over Satellite television, YouTube and the T SAT application
- The ITE&C Department has also played a pivotal role in supporting the health department and extending invaluable services to the public during the pandemic.
- Unified COVID-19 Portal: clocked 1.3 Cr reaches since its launch in April, 2020
- T COVID’19 mobile app – acted as the source of all the required information about COVID-19
- Factcheck Portal to bust fake news, rumors, and misinformation campaigns.
- Covid-19 WhatsApp Chatbot has been repurposed to provide relevant information about 2nd wave of the Covid19 pandemic.
- Medical infra inventory management system to effectively monitor and assign resources to all the hospitals across the state.
Please click here to download – ITE&C Department’s Annual Report for the year 2020-21