Digital Media Wing
FUNCTIONS OF DIGITAL MEDIA WING OF IT, E&C DEPARTMENT
Digital Media Wing of IT, E&C Department was established in June, 2014 and is responsible for connecting and engaging with citizens for disseminating Telangana Govt. information on the digital media platforms.
The core functions of the Wing are:
- Manages official Facebook, Twitter, YouTube accounts like Telangana CMO and Minister for IT, Industries and MAUD, among others. All the official programmes of Hon’ble CM and Minister for IT, I&C, MA&UD are webcast live on social media.
- Verification and badging of accounts undertaken for authenticity and to weed out fake and fraudulent accounts.
- Conducts Trainings/ Capacity Building sessions with the assistance of industry leaders in social media realm
- Single-point of contact from ITE&C Department for all the matters related to design/ development/ maintenance and enforcement of standards for Websites/ Web Portals.
- GTGW Compliance: Nodal agency to enforce web standards named Guidelines for Telangana Government Websites (GTGW) (www.telangana.gov.in/gtgw). Implementing partner to make Govt. websites/ portals accessible to Persons with Disabilities (Divyangjan).
- Manages the State Portal i.e. www.telangana.gov.in, IT Portal i.e. www.it.telangana.gov.in, CMO website i.e. www.cm.telangana.gov.in, Covid-19 website i.e. www.covid19.telangana.gov.in T-Web Portal i.e. www.tweb.telangana.gov.in, among others.
Open Data Initiative:
- Launched in September, 2016 to put the government data in an open and machine-readable format for the general public use. The Open Data Portal i.e. www.data.telangana.gov.in/ currently hosts Government Datasets and Data Resources.
- Hackathons on Government Data held for students, data enthusiasts, developers etc. to solve the pain points faced by the citizens.
Localisation of Content:
An institutional effort to enable and simplify the usage of Telugu on Digital Platforms by Government entities.
Under the T-Web Project, efforts are on to make all the Telangana Government websites to also have Telugu version. And all the PDF documents would be converted into Unicode format.
Campaign against Fake News:
The ITE&C department has decided to form three sub-groups to work on the various recommendations voiced out in the Round Table on Curbing Fake News held in 2017.
- A Subgroup on Technology Initiatives
- A Subgroup on Awareness & Education
- A Subgroup on Legislation & Regulation
Factcheck Portal: Launched a dedicated website i.e. www.factcheck.telangana.gov.in on 2nd of April, 2020 in partnership with Factly Media & Research, Hyderabad. It was aimed at dispelling the fake news and misinformation campaigns on social media platforms and to provide facts and context wherever applicable. The website hosts articles on widely circulated posts on Coronavirus on social media platforms and verify the claims made therein. Further, citizens were provided an option to report posts being circulated on social media for fact-checking by the ITE&C Dept.
Government of Telangana has taken all necessary steps to ensure that citizens are prepared well to face the challenge and threat posed by the growing pandemic of COVID-19. One of the most important factors in preventing the spread of the Virus locally is to empower the citizens with the right information and taking precautions as per the advisories issued by Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, GoI and GoT, its allied bodies and health experts.
WhatsApp Chatbot: Apart from various other initiatives, Telangana Government launched its official WhatsApp Chatbot – TS Gov COVID Info (on +91-9000 658 658) – as part of its efforts to provide authentic information to citizens on the Coronavirus/ COVID-19 pandemic. The Government of Telangana has partnered with WhatsApp to establish a dedicated Coronavirus helpline for citizens to receive accurate information on the pandemic. Digital Media wing has facilitated the creation and launch of WhatsApp Chatbot.
COVID-19 Website: Digital Media Wing has developed a dedicated website to post latest updates related to the Covid-19 pandemic. It hosted awareness posters, videos, media bulletins, control room details and other Covid19 related information.