Innovation in Multimedia, Animation, Gaming & Entertainment
To make Hyderabad and Telangana the most favored destination for investment in Animation, Visual effects, Gaming and Comics
With the advent of digital technologies in the entertainment industry and a rapidly growing market, Telangana's entertainment ecosystem is poised to become a national, and eventually, a global leader.
A large part of India's success as an economic powerhouse can be attributed to the growth of the Information Technology sector in the past two decades. This sector currently contributes close to 9.5% of India's GDP and employs over 3.5 million professionals directly. In the coming years, this sector will see the emergence of new technologies such as data analytics, cyber security, gaming and animation etc. with high levels of creativity and innovation involved. The State of Telangana aspires to be a front runner in embracing all these new and emerging technologies.
In addition to being a major IT center, Telangana has also evolved into a major cultural hub with a rich heritage in the areas of arts and crafts, dance, music, cinema, comics etc. and this heritage is now paving way for Telangana to become a leader in the entertainment industry. With the advent of digital technologies in this sector and a rapidly growing market, Telangana's entertainment ecosystem is poised to become a national, and eventually, a global leader.
The AVGC Sector is being encouraged and promoted extensively by countries like China, Singapore, UK, The Netherlands, Canada, Japan etc. These countries have also created infrastructure and ecosystems for the development of the industry, viz. Media City in Dubai (UAE) and Manchester (UK) and Dutch Games Gardens in The Netherlands.
Additionally, companies have started to focus on improving quality and the creation of original Intellectual Property. In this direction, new business models have evolved in the marketplace, to successfully tackle current challenges such as piracy, lack of effective distribution etc., which has led to increased market penetration, and heightened awareness about the animation and gaming industry. The Animation & Gaming industry is a significant user of technology, and can further showcase India's well-established credentials in the technology and services offshoring space, in addition to playing a seminal role in developing India's domestic media and entertainment industry.
Government of Telangana has been supporting a variety of economic and industrial activities by initiating specially designed policies to promote growth. While Telangana has been a leader in the area of IT/ITeS, a push to the Film, Content, Digital, Animation, VFX, Gaming & Comics industry supported by a futuristic policy will ensure exponential growth of this industry and attract investments from related stakeholders into Telangana. This will establish Telangana as a truly creative industry hub.
The IMAGE Tower
The IMAGE Tower (Innovation in Multimedia, Animation, Gaming & Entertainment) is all set to make Hyderabad the preferred destination for animation, visual effects, gaming and comics industry. It has the following objectives:
- To make Hyderabad and Telangana as the most favored destination for investment in Animation, Visual Effects, Gaming & Comics sector, Telangana Government launched IMAGE Policy in April 2016.
- IMAGE Tower would be a “Center of Excellence” with state-of-the-art facilities to act as a catalyst for the Animation, Visual Effects, Gaming & Comics sector.
- Total built-up area of Image Tower is 16 Lakh Sq Ft. Estimated budget is 945 Crores. This project would be executed on PPP basis.
The IMAGE Tower will be a world-class facility that will provide an ideal environment for the following types of businesses in the Animation, Visual Effects, Gaming & Comics Industry:
Animation Film & Gaming
Production & Distribution, Media Content Management & Providers, Film Content Rights Management, Production, Post Production
Animation, Visual Effects, Gaming & Comics Media Support Services
Web Designing & Management, Interactive Services (Webcasting / Streaming), Media Software Development & Integration, Access Spending, Multimedia Software Development, Video Games, Internet Gaming Broadcasting Hardware & Equipment, Satellite Services & Equipment Provider, GSM & Electronic Media, Media Equipment Rentals, Digital Media Management, Media Archiving & Distribution and Systems Integration Services
- Animation, Visual Effects, Gaming & Comics Media Marketing Services: Advertising, Corporate Identity & Branding, Intellectual Property Rights Management
- Animation, Visual Effects, Gaming & Comics Information Agencies: Media Research and Information Services and other activities to be taken up by State Government
- Promotion of AVGC Public and Private Parks / Business Improvement Areas (BIA)
- Setting up Common Facility Centers such as sound and video editing, video still photography and motion capture
- Setting-up of Incubation Centre for AVGC Industry
- Establishing reliable and high speed telecommunication link as the volume of data transferred is multifold compared to IT industry
The IMAGE Tower shall provide plug and play spaces, with state-of-the-art built-up office space which will be provided at subsidized rates to first generation technocrat entrepreneurs, SMEs engaged in Animation, Visual Effects, Gaming & Comics activities, and consist of all support services in the envisaged tower.