Sri K T Rama Rao
Hon’ble Minister for IT, Industries, MA & UD
Personal Background: Sri Kalvakuntla Taraka Rama Rao, the Cabinet Minister for IT E&C, MA&UD and Industries & Commerce Departments, is a legislator from Sircilla Assembly Constituency. He got elected from the Sircilla constituency in 2009, 2014 and 2018. Sri K.T. Rama Rao was born on July 24, 1976 in Siddipet, Telangana. He has completed his schooling from St. George’s Grammar School, Hyderabad and earned the Bachelor’s Degree in Microbiology from Nizam College, Hyderabad. He has two post-graduate degrees – M.Sc. in Biotechnology from the University of Pune and MBA in Marketing and e-Commerce from Baruch College, City University of New York, New York.
Prior to Ministry: After completing his MBA, Sri K.T. Rama Rao worked in the US for six years – from 2001 to 2006. Riding on keen observation of politics since childhood, global exposure and rich professional experience, Sri K.T. Rama Rao jumped into the bandwagon of fulltime politics in 2006. He played an active part in the fruitful phase of Telangana Statehood movement between 2009 and 2014.
Sri Rama Rao held key ministerial portfolios in the previous cabinet between 2014 and 2018. On 2nd June, 2014, he was sworn-in as Minister for IT, Panchayat Raj & Rural Development. Sri KT Rama Rao took charge of Municipal Administration & Urban Development, Industries & Commerce, Mining, and NRI affairs Departments in 2016 and was relieved from Panchayat Raj and Rural Development Department. Sri KT Rama Rao was reinducted into the Telangana Cabinet on 8th September, 2019 as the Minister for IT, Industries & Commerce and Municipal Administration & Urban Development.
Unflinching resolve, commitment and inclination to fight for the welfare and development of the State made Sri K.T. Rama Rao work with a wide spectrum of industry and political leaders in India and abroad. He has provided visionary leadership and put in relentless efforts in reimagining and reorienting the Departments he was assigned.
As the Minister for IT, Sri K.T. Rama Rao has come up with a comprehensive plan to cater to the multi-dimensional requirements of the IT industry and has been backed by his dedicated and competent officers and staff. Several initiatives have been launched under his able leadership since 2014.
- TS-iPASS: Legally enforced ‘Ease of Doing Business’ for industry
- T Hub: Largest incubator in India for startups
- TASK: Skilling the graduates to be job and industry-ready
- SoFTNET: To provide quality education harnessing the potential of satellite communications and Information Technology
- FiberGrid: Optic fiber to 10 million homes
- T App Folio: A one-stop solution for citizens’ needs for government services
- WE-Hub: First-of-its-kind and only State-run platform for Women Entrepreneurs
- TSIC: To promote the culture of innovation in Government departments and organizations. To inculcate the culture of innovation from the school level
- T-Works: India’s largest hardware prototyping center which aims to create and celebrate a culture of hobbyists, makers, and innovators
- T-Wallet: To make payments for both Government and Private transactions to avail services
- Hy-Fi: To transform Hyderabad as the first Wi-Fi enabled city in India
- 2020 Year of Articial Intelligence (AI): Telangana Government has declared 2020 as the Year of Articial Intelligence (AI). The IT Dept has set in motion a series of initiatives with a view to make the next ten years as Telangana’s decade of AI.
Sri K.T. Rama Rao, a devout public servant with remarkable vision and unfettered passion, has been striving to transform the nascent Telangana into Golden Telangana – a euphemism for the all-round development of the State.